Thursday, September 18, 2008

Outlook 2007 Search and RDS Ctrl-Alt-End

I don't know why this is so hard for me to remember, but maybe blogging about it will help.

Searching a date range in Outlook 2007 can be accomplished with the following syntax:
received d:(>=08/01/2008) received:(<=08/31/2008)

Sending a ctrl-alt-delete key combination to the machine you are remoting into is accomplished by pressing ctrl-alt-end.

Quiz me later!

Monday, September 15, 2008

Vista WS4 Bug

I ran into a bug in Vista this weekend. This is really the first major bug I've seen (if you don't count the EXTREME slowness in IE 8b with the Google toolbar loaded) and after hours of troubleshooting I was tempted to go buy another license of XP. The problem was only cropping up when I tried to create a folder, move a file or delete a file. Only. In any of those instances, the Explorer window involved would hang. The file operation would complete, but the prompt or window would stay unusable. If I killed the Explorer process and ran a new instance, then the computer ran just fine until the next rename, move or delete. Then I'd have to kill Explorer and kick off a new process. In short...this really stunk up a weekend where I had several hours of development that needed to be done.

I spent several hours revering to various restore points, but the problem always remained. It wasn't until early this morning that I found a forum post that indicated that Window Search might be the problem. In the case of the forum poster it was an upgrade that solved his problem. For me, I downgraded by uninstalling Windows Search 4. My initial test delete worked like a champ so I went to bed. I really hope that fixed the problem and I can get back to work this evening.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

SQL: Replace strings for TEXT datatype

There might be a simpler way to do a replace of all occurences of a string in a SQL TEXT field, but this is the solution I came up with way back when. I needed it again tonight so I figured I might as well pin it to the interwebs.

-- UPDATE [TableToUpdate]
-- SET [Column] = cast(replace(cast([Column] as varchar(max)),'[StringToReplace]','[ReplacementText]') as text)
-- WHERE [Column] like '%[StringToReplace]%'

Tuesday, September 02, 2008