Friday, April 18, 2008

My MySQL Experience

I've been doing a bit of development with MySQL for a client and I've had to do a bit of work under the hood since the original developer had made quite a mess of the database. One of the biggest issues/roadblocks I had to deal with was the fact that two database were using two different collations and were therefore not available for table joins. Not only that, but they were duplicating effort of managing two sets of records between the two databases. One table contained an important id value while the other didn't.

I don't have time now, but I will blog the solution that I had to implement in order to configure both databases (and their columns) to use the same collation. Perhaps someone who manages to find that post can direct me towards a better solution in the future as the one I came up with is slightly less than ideal due to the need to manually run each MySQL MODIFY statement. I know that there is a better solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment