Saturday, August 09, 2008

Fast Food Internet

Sitting in McD's doing client work instead of blinding people on the beach with my no-tan tan. Doh!!!

And now the explanation:
Well, long story very short (edited: not really)... I was waiting approval for a change on Friday, but it didn't come until after we were already on the road to OC. So... we were looking for open wireless connections on the way over but the lag on the iPhone's wireless selection screen was a bit too much for the speed I was driving. It was already after midnight by the time we arrived and my client's contract with another company bound them to posting content by midnight on the West coast.

So, I had to buy the wireless that OC provided to the condo and it was absolutely terrible. I actually had to leave the condo and sit on the front steps at 1:30 AM all the while watching my ever-draining battery indicator slip down to below 30%. My connection was so bad that I wasn't able to fully test the work on the production server before the laptop died and I had to crash.

The next morning I got up early and went in search of a better internet connection near an outlet and the waiter from breakfast said that McDonald's internet was the best on the 100+ side of OC. From my experience, I'd have to say he was correct. Also, since my client asked me to post a 20+ MB quicktime file to their homepage and I wasn't able to test the site under so poor conditions that I realized I needed to looking into some sort of streaming host. After a little research I discovered that for $30+ I could use QuickTime Pro to create a reference movie that allows QuickTime players to begin playing without having to download the entire .mov file. That's pretty much the definition of streaming. Another bonus of purchasing QTP was that I could finally resize the movie to make it fit on their home page properly.

1 comment: