Monday, June 04, 2012

Solution-ish: CF10 SQL Connection Timeout After VPN Disconnect

When doing CF 9&10 development locally I would constantly run into a SQL connection timeout issue where any page that required a database connection would throw the following error.

Error Executing Database Query.

[Macromedia][SQLServer JDBC Driver]The requested instance is either invalid or not running.
My initial searches for solutions to get right back to work weren't fruitful and the only thing that worked for me was a full machine reboot. Sometime last week I got fed up with doing full reboots and spent a little more time digging. Before I had attempted to restart the usual suspect services: CF, CF ODBC, SQL, etc. but it wasn't until I read an article that mentioned DHCP that I thought to restart the DHCP Client service. Bingo! Maybe there's a more elegant solution or I'm missing some simple configuration option somewhere as other people who work similarly don't have this timeout issue. However, if you run into this issue there's a good chance that you just need to cycle the DHCP Client service anytime you disconnect from the VPN.

No comments:

Post a Comment